Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Oh, the Tintinabulation of the Bells



If you don't know this, RUSH is coming.  RUSH is so cool that all of its letters are capitalized.  Their web site announces they will be filming their Cleveland concert for DVD release.  I'll be standing outside Record Revolution on Coventry at midnight that day that thing's released so I can see myself looking like an awesome RUSH fan in it.

I pledge allegiance to RUSH.

It wasn't always that way, though.  I've been on the fence about RUSH most of my life.  I saw them in concert once. The Power Windows tour.  The night before a calculus exam.  I brought index cards with theorems to study.  A quintessential RUSH experience, you might say.

My earliest brushes with RUSH were the loud basement moments of brotherhood.  An aggressive RUSH fan in the family can get ugly.  I scrutinized mystical album folds, read the realpolitik in the lyrics.  I respected them, but also feared them as Canadian warlocks.

That all changed when I found Geddy Lee on the Bob & Doug Christmas Album singing, Take Off!  The Canadianization of my mind was complete.   I loved RUSH, but I still never plunged into their music as so many others have.

Now, Apatow has set the record straight:  RUSH gets the last laugh.  And Bloomsday is a big fan of those who laugh best.